To book an appointment with one of our service professionals, please fill out the form below:
In Case of Emergency: DIY Plumbing for Clogged Toilets
For many people, being faced with a clogged toilet and a steadily rising water level is tantamount to torture. The feeling of helplessness you experience as you watch the toilet bowl fill to the brim is the stuff of nightmares. If you are the victim of a clogged toilet or a clog in any other drain, before you reach for a phone to call your local Calgary plumber, try out some of these tips to potentially save yourself time and money.
- Don’t flush the toilet again! These problems don’t fix themselves automatically, and continued flushing is a sure way to end up with a flooded bathroom. Wait about 10 minutes for the water level to subside before trying anything…
- You will want to make sure you have the necessary tools for DIY plumbing. Everyone is familiar with the plunger but there are a few other tools that are just as important for dealing with clogs. Gloves should always be worn when working on the toilet or other drains to avoid spreading bacteria. A plumbing snake is an inexpensive product that can usually dislodge the cause of a drained clog.
- Avoid harsh cleaning chemicals that claim to be a carefree alternative. These chemicals often take a long time to take effect and can necessitate expensive pipe replacement in the future.
- Once the water level has returned to a normal level, you can attempt to clear the blockage with a plunger. Most of the time, a few solid compressions with the plunger planted firmly over the toilet outlet or the drain will be enough to dislodge the clog and return the drain to working order.
- If the drain remains backed up or empties slower than before, don’t worry. NeedAPlumberCanada employs the best Calgary plumbers and are on call, 24/7. Even if a faulty drain strikes on a weekend or late at night, NeedAPlumberCanada offers fast service with no emergency fees attached.
Good luck with your DIY ventures!