Skip to content

To book an appointment with one of our service professionals, please fill out the form below:

Home » Blog » General » Vacancy Clause Rider

Vacancy Clause Rider

Did you know that many home insurance policies contain a vacancy clause rider which makes the insurance void if the property is left unoccupied for a certain amount of time? Most commonly, a vacancy clause rider states that the policy will cease to function once the property has been vacant for 30 or 60 days. In these situations, you might wonder what to do in the case of an extended vacation or temporary leave of the home. Here are a few options to consider.

  • Rent Out Your Home: If you plan on leaving your home for more than a month, you may want to consider renting it out for that period of time. Not only will this keep your insurance policy valid, but it will also serve to protect the property and make you a little extra cash in the mean-time.
  • Have a Family Member or Friend House-Sit: Once again, keeping someone in the home will maintain the safety of the property and ensure that your insurance policy stays valid.
  • Purchase Vacancy Coverage: Most insurance providers offer vacancy coverage—which means that for some extra money, you can leave your property empty without worry. Generally, these coverages cover burglary, break-ins, and vandalism. However, fire and wind damage might still be a concern.

If you are planning an extended vacation or have to be away from home for more than a month, there are also HVAC and Calgary plumbing concerns to consider. Leaving your HVAC and plumbing systems untouched for an extended period of time can cause problems, especially during the cold winter months. If you find yourself in a situation where your home will be left unoccupied for a month or more, please contact Need A Plumber Canada in advance. Our professionals will help you find a solution for maintaining your plumbing and HVAC systems.

Scroll To Top